what's been on my mind (all the time)

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dear readers, I have some exciting news to share!
And, no, it's not that I'm pregnant. (Just clearing that up.)

I am photographing a wedding this Saturday! I'm pretty sure this will be one of my dreams fulfilled. I get to play photographer for two people who love each other, who look spectacular, and who are making the commitment to spend the rest of their lives together. What an honour!

I have something to admit, though. I've been avoiding sharing this information because I am afraid of criticism. Criticism of my lack of experience, my imperfect methods, my small collection of photography gear. So, let's get this out in the open right off the hop: I know I'm not a professional photographer, and I make no claims to be one. I do claim this, though: I love photographing people! I have a love for photography that communicates the feelings behind life. The lovely bride-to-be whom I will be photographing saw this in me before I did, and I am, as I said, honoured to give this gift to her.

I've also been doing a ton of research into what I need for a wedding, and I can confidently say that I am ready for the challenge. This website has provided many helpful tips, these books taught me a lot about professionalism, and these photographers have provided endless inspiration. I am sick to death of memory cards, camera batteries (especially when you purchase one and it turns out to be a dud!), lens filters, and flash diffusers. I've become thoroughly acquainted with my camera, my lenses, and their capacities. I've written out plans, purchased functional outfits, booked babysitters, mapped out how to get to the wedding... and over-thought my way into insomnia. I'm quite ready to believe that I'm ready for this.

So! If you think of me on Saturday, pray for a cool head about all of this. Pray that I don't do something really reprehensible like damaging a lens, forgetting a battery, or losing a memory card. I am beyond words excited about this, but, sheesh, it's hard work!

6 comments:

  1. EXCITING!! Girl, I completely understand your fears. I too, have my first wedding coming up in August, and I am scared to death. I am 100% sure you will rock this, and I can't wait to see photos! (please post photos! :) Have fun!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the couple lets me, I'll post pictures! (I don't think it will be a problem.)

      Delete
  2. I always like your pictures so much, and the wonderful thing is that you're heading there with a humble approach. Between your natural talent and your research, you're sure to capture the perfect moments! Don't forget to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. Totally understand you here. I've done two weddings. The first was terrifying, and a huge learning experience. The second was not quite so terrifying but another huge learning experience. Every photographer has to start. You don't start off with twenty years experience you gain it. I would suggest if you can, having a back up camera if you don't already have one. Biggest thing have fun doing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, Beck! I made sure I had a back-up camera - thank goodness for people who are willing to lend theirs! If I do this again, I think I'll want to have another camera body & better "distance" lens, as well as a speedlight of my very own. Actually, the list of things I want is almost endless. One can dream!

      Delete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)