Trimester the Third

Thursday, April 21, 2011

It's time. 

Time for a big, sentimental pregnancy post. Why, you ask? Because I am 27 weeks and 1 day pregnant, and that means that I have officially stepped into the third trimester. As in, two thirds of the way to my due date. 

Um... this has kind of taken me off guard. Ok, I know you laugh because of all the pregnancy-related posting and belly shots I've done this time around, but hear me out: being pregnant with one's first child is worlds different than being pregnant with the second one while a little one-year-old runs around. I've had no time to be "new baby obsessed" while being in the constant company and care of my little boy. Sure, I still mark the milestones (such as fetal movement, heartburn, morning sickness, etc), but this time it's a more familiar mystery to me. What's more, the memory of having a newborn to take care of is still fresh in my memory - so fresh that it seems a bit hard to believe that I will soon be experiencing it all over again.  

I am beyond excited for the Cuteness to have a little sibling to love on. He absolutely loves being with people and I think a little play-mate will do him good, although the new baby won't be up to his standards for a few months. I think it will still take a good amount of adjustment for him to learn how to respect little Nutmeg's limitations as a baby younger than himself. He has little experience with smaller (in age) children.

How am I doing these days? As good as can be expected. I've gotten all of the usual symptoms and side-effects that the third trimester brings. The worst at this point is heartburn. I get it if I'm hungry, and I get it when I eat anything other than breakfast foods. It's not always that pressing, but it's pretty much a constant. I'm grateful for Zantac. My midwife told me that it's actually quite safe for pregnancy - IF you take the regular strength, and only as often as it recommends. Many women don't know this, and I'm wondering if doctors hold a different school of thought on this subject. All I know is that a) it works b) I've had no side effects, and c) there's no chance of me getting kidney stones. I generally will put up with the heartburn all day and take one pill before bed. If there's anything keeping me up in the night, I want to make sure it's NOT heartburn.

They say that at the third-trimester mark a mother will either react with joy and anticipation at the very near arrival of her baby, or feel a sense of panic. I'm kind of in that second category. It's not that bad, but I feel like this snuck up on me. I want to blame it on the fact that we also have an up and coming move to think about. I'm praying that everything happens as the camp board has promised and that baby does not come early. Even if s/he does ignore the ETA, I know God is still good and He will provide. One thing I do know is that my body should be good and ready to deliver this baby with the insane amount of Braxton Hicks contractions I've been dealing with. Only time will tell, I suppose.

I leave you with this... me and my little man. :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)