the death of self

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The only way I can truly understand the greatness of Christ is if I come to the end of myself - when God reveals His majesty to me and I fall on my face as though dead. I can't say how exactly God will choose to reveal His majesty because it's different every time, but I do know that when confronted with His holiness I become ever so aware of my sinfulness. In that moment of death when I'm utterly devastated and helpless, Christ's gentle and powerful right hand rests on my head and He speaks to me these words:

Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.

Only when I've come to that point of complete self denial can I truly understand that Jesus Christ is all. He always was and always will be. He died in my place, and He is alive forevermore. All powers of this world that would hold sway over me are in His hands. There is no reason for me to fear, but to hope. I can't possibly pay to God the honour due unless I understand that I am as good as dead, but in Christ I live. 

---

Revelation 1:9-20

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)