leg cramps

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I have a question for all of you brilliant ladies out there.  Last night I experienced my first ever leg cramp and it's an experience I definitely don't want to repeat. It made me cry out in pain and went through three waves before it died down. When I got up this morning my leg was stiff and sore, causing me to limp. I'm pretty sure this is a pregnancy-related thing because my joints have also been swelling for the first time this pregnancy.

My question is this: any tips for keeping this nastiness away? I've heard drinking lots of water helps... but that's about all I know. Please leave your tips in the comments because PAIN WITHOUT A PURPOSE is lame. Very lame. I seriously prefer labour pains over leg cramps.

That's it for today, friends. We're going to be attending the funeral of my husband's maternal grandmother today. To be honest, this is only the second funeral I have ever had occasion to attend. I am grateful that I've never known what it is to lose a close family member. Life is short, however, and all must die. God holds all things in His hands.

5 comments:

  1. Sadly, I do not have advice... I am one of the unfortunate who suffer from leg cramps at random, and while they increased during pregnancy, they still show up on occasion. When they do happen...massage works great, and often I will get my husband to do so for me if the cramp is unbearable. Josiah's great at it...just like he was a great support during labor, and I'm sure Joey would be too.

    Will be praying for you today, with everything that's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the prayer, Candice. It was such a good day. The Gospel was clearly and unashamedly proclaimed. She left us all with such a message of life.

    I am definitely going to get Joey to massage my leg if it happens again. Last night's was bad enough to make walking painful all day long. I'm pretty sure it's because I tensed up and had no idea how to deal with it. The first time you experience such a random pain like that is kind of hard to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lady that taught my birth class told me that if you stretch your toes up toward your knees that helps. I found it to be the quickest way of getting the cramp to subside. The very first cramp I had I "gave in to it." I wouldn't lay my foot flat on the ground and I just limped. With my last pregnancy I was very quick to stretch my calves when it happened. Huge help to me but I know we're all unique individuals. Just thought I'd share what worked for me. :) The Lord has used your blog to greatly encourage me as a young mama. May the Lord grant you strength to continue being bold for Him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure how to *avoid* them, but I found that standing up on a cold floor made them go away quite fast. Our bathroom, or failing that, just standing in the bathtub often did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anonymous...

    Thanks for your thoughtful comment! A few other ladies I've talked to have suggested the very same thing you did. I'm pretty sure that's where I goofed (and why it's still painful) - I "gave in to it" too. I appreciate the advice and feel much more prepared for the next one... if there will even be a next one.

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)