to my one-year-old on his birthday

Saturday, August 04, 2012

Little Mr. Benjamin,

You are one year old today. A couple days ago we took a four hour drive and you alternated screaming your disapproval at being confined and babbling, giggling, and smiling unabashedly. I handed you a cracker and you spent most of the time turning it back and forth, examining it, and raising it in the air victoriously. When we arrived at our destination, you speed-crawled around the entire house, stopping only to bob your head vigorously and plot a new speedy trajectory. Then you showed us how you are definitely determined by walking around more than usual and climbing on top of a picnic table all by yourself. When I put you down to sleep, you gave me a soft "ba ba ba" and did not make one more peep.

My little bean, I love being your mama. You are feisty and changeable, determined and fun-loving. Your smile is brilliant, and your eyes simply shine. You scream louder than any baby I have ever heard, and you are incredibly talkative. You are not afraid to take on your brother, and you think he is the coolest cat ever.


You're incredibly fond of vegetables, but you're also pretty content to eat whatever we give you. Your favourite thing in the world is to play with cups. Cups in cups. Cups in cups in cups! You are a very methodical thinker. Copying what you see around you comes easy to you, and I excited to see you learn new things as you transition from infancy to toddlerhood. Toddlerhood! How did it come so quickly?!

Benji, I waited and waited for you to come, and one year ago today I got to hold you for the very first time. You were extremely blue when you were born, but oh-so-very alive. You stole our hearts right from the get-go, and you haven't given them back yet.

We love you, Benjamin! Happy birthday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)