Summertime, Part 1

Friday, July 03, 2015

Let's be honest. Summer is not my favourite season.

I'm pretty sure I play the same, sad trombone every year. I know. I'm pathetic. 

I can't tolerate heat. I'm abnormally allergic to mosquito bites. Storms make me hyperventilate and cry like an infant. Joey's busy work schedule is burdensome. I'm pasty white and self-conscious. 

Those are the reasons I like to list to myself when I'm contemplating doing something, gasp, FUN with my children. Because, heaven forbid I actually enjoy myself during the summertime.

But having kids changes a person. It's true. It is easy to forget my list of excuses when I think about the surpassing value of investing time in my children. Forget the heat and my flabby shell. What they will remember is having heaps of fun in the warm summer sun with a mom that wasn't afraid to get hot, sweaty, dirty, and wet with them.

My personal comfort is not worth sacrificing a lifetime's worth of cherished memories. 

So, Summer, I will take what you throw at me. Give me your best shot. Because I'm up to the challenge of embracing life, for the sake of my littles.

And, maybe, just maybe, I will actually enjoy it. 

(And possibly get in front of the camera for once in my life. Don't hold your breath for that one, though.)
































0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)