Lilapsophobia

Friday, June 22, 2007

The current weather patterns have been causing me some grief as of late. It seems that every week there is potential for a tornado at least once. It's really hard for me to put my fears aside and trust in God during storms. When it's hot and humid and storm clouds cover the sky, my stomach turns to rot and I feel it necessary to either watch ever single development, or hide out in my basement. Well, tonight is one of those "hiding out" nights. I am so afraid of storms. It's been extremely hot and humid today, and I'm home alone at the moment. I just don't know what to do! Please, if anyone has any words of encouragement, share them with me. Or, if you feel led, please pray for me. This is not something I can defeat on my own. I need the help of the Lord. I don't want to be held captive to this fear anymore. I do not think I will be able to survive.


On a more random note, the word for "fear of long words" is 36 letters long! It's "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia"

4 comments:

  1. haha thanks. Did you know there were numerous tornadoes in and around Elie last night? And there were more spotted in other places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that on the weather channel this morning. Elie made national news!! Sounds like word of storms has not quit yet. 'Tis the season.

    From what I know about phobias, you need to deal with them in order to conquer them. I had a friend afraid of birds so I made her touch this stuffed bird every day!

    Irrational fears are difficult to deal with because it's a physical response of flight that gets set in motion. But I agree, I wouldn't want to be afraid of storms for the rest of my life...

    I was in a restaurant that had Maury on TV and he had people with irrational fears on TV screaming and hollering. One woman was afraid of cotton balls!

    So, "touch the bird, Andy!" That means, do whatever you need to do to confront and conquer this fear!! And I agree. It starts with prayer and the Lord's help first.

    Next, it's best to find a buddy to help you work through this--maybe Jordon would help you. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I know it's been a few years since you wrote this. I was wondering if you had found a way to get over this fear. I am suffering from the same thing right now and it only seems to be getting worse.

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)