the story

Tuesday, May 27, 2008



Okay, this note is for everyone wondering just exactly how and when I got engaged to Joey Sawatzky. Sit down, hold on tight...

It was Friday at about supper, and I had no idea I would even see Joey at all. We had planned to go on a date the following day, but as far as I knew, Friday was an average day. He phoned me, and soon he was over at VVBC for supper. Right after supper, my old youth group showed up to do some grounds work for the camp, and Christine & Tracy (my youth leaders) chased me down to say hi and to check my finger for a ring--just a joke. We laughed about it, and even thought about how funny it would be if I had a fake ring on that finger just to trick people.

Camp was pretty full of people, and this being the first time Joey and I had seen eachother in a month, we didn't want to be stuck amongst a crowd. It was pretty chilly outside, so our best option was to go for a drive. We headed south of camp on random country roads until we came to a sign that said, "No thru road". "This looks good" said Joey, and I just thought, "ummmm....?!?" Joey drove until he literally couldn't drive any further, and we got out to walk.

It was still really chilly. Perhaps worse. The terrain wasn't very suitable for walking, so we slowly turned back to the car, and I was trying to figure out something we should do. Shivering from the cold and hugging Joey to keep warm, I asked, "what are we going to do?!?"

And that's when it happened. He said, "What I came here to do" and bent down on one knee. (I think I gave him a really awkward look. I was confused because I thought he was pulling out a camera. "we came here to take pictures?" It just didn't make sense!) "Andrea, will you marry me?"

At this moment I forgot to breath, reverted back to my childhood, sped forward to the future, started to cry, started to laugh, and fell to my knees, all the while trying to spit out, "yes... Yes... YES!" I hugged him so tight, and I couldn't stop crying/laughing. I hadn't even seen the ring! All I know is that the man of my dreams was on his knees, completely vulnerable before me, and I loved him more than I could have ever thought possible.

I don't really know how long we knelt there in the sand together, but it seemed like an eternity. Sometime or other we remembered the ring, and he opened the case and I put it on.  (Funny how I never told him what I like, yet he bought exactly what I would have picked. NO ONE knew what I liked.) When we stood up, I could feel him shaking... not just little shivers, but big waves. He was so nervous! I don't blame him. He could not have planned a better time. I definitely did not expect to be engaged this spring!!!

Anyways, we drove back to VVBC to show everyone the ring and spread our joy. I phoned my parents (my mom's reaction was pretty close to mine, I think), and Christine and Tracy just had to laugh at the irony of how we had been joking about me being engaged prior to Joey's proposal. It was just so perfect!!!

Thanks to all of you who made a point to remember Joey and I in your prayers. I am not exaggerating when I say that God used you to carry out His will in our lives. Please keep thinking of us... I'm sure there are going to be days when I'm sure I've gone nuts and I'll need to have a good cry, but I am facing it head on--God's guiding us.... and I am so excited!

-Andrea

7 comments:

  1. I think you covered everything pretty well. Minus the dead cow, which won't speak of. Oh look bounding majestic deer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S winter wedding?? I thought the date had been announced, unless I am supposed to keep my mouth shut. And I don't know why Joey would be nervous, if he had anything but 100% assurance that you would say yes, then he wouldn't have asked. But I am still in shock myself, I knew you two were going to get married, but my best friend who I literally grew up with is moving up in life (hope that doesn't sound bad). I know you two will have the best life until death do you part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The date is announced, but I just copied this from an early note I wrote on Facebook. AND it doesn't really matter to a lot of people reading my blog--they don't need a date! AND... the nervousness came because Joey was taking such a big step forward. There is SO MUCH that changes just from that little question...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! So much change as you forge ahead towards becoming Mrs. Sawatsky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Congratulations! So much change as you forge ahead towards becoming Mrs. Sawatsky!"

    Ha ha, and get used to people spelling your last name wrong to. It's Sawatzky. No harm done though Michelle.

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)