not of this world

Sunday, December 19, 2010

As I stay at home and take care of the Cuteness, I have plenty of time to think things through and simply observe what’s going on in this world.  We don’t have television, so the radio is our main authority when it comes to world events.  I almost prefer it that way.  Watching TV is so all-encompassing for me.  If it’s going to be on, then I’m going to drop everything and watch it.  When I listen to the radio, I find myself being much more productive because only one of my senses is being called upon.  Along with much radio listening, I also have enrolled myself in the oh-so-popular web monsters, known as Twitter and Facebook.  With Twitter, I can follow people I’ve never met in person and read what makes them tick.  I’ve learned a lot about trends in North American humanity and Christianity that I was completely oblivious to before - such things aren’t as easy to pick out on public radio.  As for Facebook, it has kept me informed as to what the current trends are in the people I know directly.  Granted, one shouldn’t need social media to connect with the people she knows.  I admit that Facebook has it’s flaws.  What it has done is made me aware of just how big my circle of influence really is.  Not only do I get to take the heartbeat of the people I know, but I am also challenged to live with more integrity.  And, lastly, I am part of the blogosphere.  This is probably the most narrow-sighted form of information out of all four.  Instead of learning about vast numbers of people, I’ve gotten to know a dozen world views - all narrow simply because they only belong to one person.
What has all this information-gathering done for me?  First, it’s given me perspective beyond my own little blip of a life.  I have to be careful, though, because gaining a broader vision can make you blind to the things close at hand.  But, overall, I am grateful for what I have learned.  The main benefit from all of this is simply summed up in one sentence: 

The more I see of this world, the more I’m convinced I don’t belong in it. 
That may sound harsh, but it’s completely true.  I continuously find that my affections and passions are in stark contrast with what the world values.  I am constantly drawn to my God and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  I crave heaven’s joys and while inwardly repelling earth’s sorrows.  
And, you know what?  I am a follower of Christ - a citizen of heaven.  I was born into sin, and have died to it through the precious blood of Christ shed for me.  My life is not lived by the provision of this world, but by faith in the Son of God.  
As long as I am here on earth, I am a sojourner and an exile - cast off from modern society because, as a Christian, I cannot rightly take on the passions of the world.  I am called to abstain from the passions of the flesh because they wage war against my soul (see 1 Peter 2:11).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)