Philippians 4:6-7 (again)

Thursday, May 24, 2012


I’m afraid that my heart doesn’t default to seeking God. I really wish it would. I wish the first thing I thought when I or my children get sick was to immediately bring my worry to the Lord in prayer instead of worrying myself sick(er). The truth is that as soon as I feel my family is threatened, I manifest a very selfish “woe is me” attitude. I think (and think and think) about how I can right the situation, how much worse things can get, how I feel so helpless. And then I wallow.

Call me crazy, but I’m pretty sure this is not what God desires for me. I’m not going to say that if you call on the Lord, everything will get better almost instantly, that you’ll experience some supernatural healing because God’s your own personal genie in a bottle (that, friends, is blasphemy!). The only thing that is promised us if we call on the Lord is to a peace “which surpasses all understanding” (Philippians 4:7).

I think it is infinitely more beautiful to be fully trusting in the goodness of God in the midst of hardships than trying to play a “get out of jail free” card  every time we are pushed out of our comfort zones. Now, if only I could remember this in the darkest moments and trust that none of these things has escaped God’s notice…

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)