winter on the prairies

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My opinion of winter has always been quite favourable.  I absolutely detest being hot, I love wearing sweaters and scarves, and I love the absolute reprieve from summer storms. Having grown up on the Canadian prairies, winter hardly ever takes me off guard.

I am glad to say that my boys' opinion of this season is top notch. Benjamin hasn't gotten much further than simply sitting in the snow and watching the goings-on around him, but it's easy to see on that sweet little face that he is loving every minute of being outside.

We have so much snow this year. It seems like a fresh layer falls every night! It's perfect for making snow hills and showing off big manly muscles by carrying around big manly shovels.

Judah was "helping" shovel off the deck. This kid loves to be useful, and I love that about him. It's quite possible that he has the gift of service - he must if shovelling snow off decks is more fun than making snow angels or taking rides on crazy carpets!

 This guy also has a passion for winter. His enthusiasm for taking the boys outside never ceases to amaze me!

 (I fall down.)




I know it's kind of characteristic for Canadians to complain about winter/brag about how cold it got, but I don't want to add to that chorus. To me, winter is a picture of redemption. While the land is dead and bearing no fruit, a blanket of pure, white, shining snow falls and clothes the grasses and trees with more splendour than their naked branches could ever produce. God covers the shame of the dead countryside and turns it into something truly beautiful. Only God can do that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)