Of babies, baking, and pestilences

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The summer camp season is over for another year. It's my fourth year in a row at this place, but this year did not look like any of the others. To start off, I'm pregnant--that means abnormally low energy levels, aversions to many random foods, and daily fluctuation of emotions. My involvement in the things I love, such as getting to know campers and participating in the occasional wide game, was seriously compromised. But now I have nothing to complain about. I have no pressing responsibilities and I live in absolutely gorgeous countryside. Hooray for a season of rest--and just plain strangeness due to the baby growing inside of me.

We've been dealing with an abnormal amount of little furry pests this year. So far, Sheba's winning the fight in our place with a total of 4 catches, vs. Victor with only one. Still, there's more to be had. I'm just refering to the pests in our chalet. There's been 6 caught in the tuck shop--one of which only got its tail stuck and proceeded to crawl under the freezer and die. We were wondering where that trap went--and where the stink was coming from. Sigh. There has also been capital "P" Pests around/in the lodge, although we didn't know about the "in" part for a while. Again, the mysterious stink has been identified. These Pests are falling prey to an old trick known as POISON. In my dislike of both pests and Pests, I definitely prefer pests. No doubt about it.

Mmm... I am in the process of baking my first successful batch of buns. Okay, I don't know if they are successful yet, but I'm sure hoping! The last time I tried (my first attempt) I mistakenly put half the amount of yeast in than was required. Silly me. They were only tasty while piping hot. After that, well, the NHL could have made good use of them. On that note, I will leave you. I will not risk burning them!



UPDATE: The buns are delicious and Sheba caught another little pest! She may reconsider placing it in Joey's shoe, though...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)