my perfect love story

Thursday, October 21, 2010

When I was a little girl, I used to dream of the man I would marry.  Would he be tall?  Have dark hair like my dad?  Would he be someone I grew up with?  How would I know it was him?


You know, the typical girly fluff.



I pondered.  I dreamed.  Ever since I was five years old, right up until grade 12, I knew in my heart that Mr. Perfect from Dreamyland would be making his debut in my life anytime now.


And then, there he was.  Six feet tall, jaw-droppingly gorgeous, ready and willing to sweep me off my feet.  It was love at first sight.  He fought of many a young buck to claim his prize.  He bought me flowers once a week.  He took me on his little Venetian boat through leafy arches of gilded leaves.  We spent every moment of every day together.  And it was always sun-shiny.

Wait.

Well, he is tall.  And gorgeous.  But did I know it was him the first moment I saw him?  Nope.  Did he go to all efforts to "woo" me and make me fall desperately in love?  Notta.  And, while we're on this topic, why was it so extremely hard to find him?  Why were there other boys before when they weren't even "the One"?  What's with all the hardship?

And then he went off to school.  To BC.  Two months after we started dating!  While I was left at school to "defend" myself and tell a boy (by myself) that, "no, I am not interested, and I'd rather that you would leave me alone now, thank you."  We were separated for the better part of our dating relationship.  He in BC, me in MB.  And then, when he DID come back, I went and ran off to SK.  He didn't even come after me.  I had to fight for a chance to talk to him on the phone, tooth and nail,  even when we were engaged.  And I spent nearly every evening alone.

So, ok, it wasn't all sun-shiny.  I never even set foot on a Venetian boat.

Our love was not grown through vain flattery and misleading performance.  It was not a "no brainer" situation; it was not easy to know whether or not we should be together.  Our fondness didn't come as a result of falling madly in love while spending endless sunny days together.  It came from extended periods of separation, lengthy letters, many a phone call, and meaningful weekend visits.  Love was won not through might, but through tender tears and battling prayers.

Let me tell you this: the day we were married was the happiest day of my life.  All of the hardship we endured, all of the self-imposed limitations we had placed on ourselves (including not kissing until the moment we were married), and all of the uncertainty was worth it.  Because now we are free to be committed to each other as much (and more) as we ever dreamed of being.  We know how hard we fought for this.  We know that this is where God wants us to be.

In the end, I'm glad our love story was not perfect, at least in the Hollywood sense of the word.  Because we didn't have for so long, we now know the worth of what has been attained.
____________________________________

To read a whimsical rendition of how our relationship first started, click here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)