Psalm 39

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

 I said, "I will guard my ways
 That I may not sin with my tongue;
 I will guard my mouth as with a muzzle
 While the wicked are in my presence."

 I was mute and silent,
 I refrained even from good,
 And my sorrow grew worse.

 My heart was hot within me,
 While I was musing the fire burned;
 Then I spoke with my tongue:

"Lord, make me to know my end
 And what is the extent of my days;
 Let me know how transient I am.

"Behold, You have made my days as handbreadths,
 And my lifetime as nothing in Your sight;
 Surely every man at his best is a mere breath.

"Surely every man walks about as a phantom;
 Surely they make an uproar for nothing;
 He amasses riches and does not know who will gather them.

"And now, Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in You.
 Deliver me from all my transgressions.
 Make me not the reproach of the foolish.

"I have become mute, I do no open my mouth,
 Because it is You who have done it.

"Remove Your plague from me;
 Because of the opposition of Your hand I am perishing.

"With reproofs You chasten a man for iniquity;
 You consume as a moth what is precious to him;
 Surely every man is a mere breath.

"Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry;
 Do not be silent at my tears;
 For I am a stranger with You, a sojourner like all my fathers.

"Turn Your gaze away from me, that I may smile again
 Before I depart and am no more."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)