different struggles

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Baby Benjamin is one day shy of three weeks old. Time has seemed to be going by rather quickly lately, and I credit that to the semblance of routine we have managed to identify. I am now officially taking care of the (little) boys by myself, which has been quite the adjustment! Judah requires entertainment and discipline at all times, and Benjamin requires cuddles, food, and sleep at all times. I could not have two more opposite children - at least at this stage of life.
My struggles are entirely different than they were when Judah was a baby. This time around, I know how to sneak in a shower at the most impossible times (but don't ask me to tell you how), I'm able to feed myself a satisfying amount of food, and some housework is even being accomplished from time to time. Last time around, accomplishing any one of those things felt like a victory. I took months to figure out how to be "normal" while caring for a little one. This time, even with two children to look after, I feel like I'm months ahead of myself.
What I can't seem to figure out is how to relate to Judah while I'm caring for Benjamin. The latter may be a rather content baby and a good eater, but he still needs a lot of one-to-one time. I feel rather immobilized while he's attached to me. Judah, on the other hand, is struggling to come to terms with the fact that sometimes I just can't give him attention. I feel my patience wearing thin at times.
I know that no one is expecting me to have all of this figured out right away. Being new parents - or at least the parents of a new baby - is something that almost everyone looks on with compassion. The things we were able to do before may have to be put on hold. I still haven't made it over to visit all of the staff at camp yet. The thought of packing up two boys and enduring the heat just to show my face is a little bit overwhelming, and feels rather unnecessary at this time. I love our friends very much, but right now adding that expectation to ourselves is not healthy.
 For now I will be content with working out a "schedule" for this new crazy life of ours. My boys deserve consistency and love. I can't give either if I am wearing myself thin. I can't give either without leaning heavily upon God's word and trusting in His grace upon grace.

6 comments:

  1. I know you are probably getting loads of advice and suggestions...so take this with a grain of salt.
    For ourselves, I plan on using our baby wrap TONS when this little one comes. That way I still get my cuddles with our newborn, and have two hands available to care for N. I can relate with the disciplining, too. Already N is pushing his limits and figuring out boundaries...may we have God's wisdom as we seek to establish healthy boundaries while doing so in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good advice, but I'm not sure at what age it's safe to carry a baby around in one. Do you know? I also have a wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use the cuddly/moby wrap from day one, using the kangaroo-style carry where his head is supported. There are lots of guides online/on youtube. When he has a bit of head control, you can use a sling, and by three-ish months (good head control) he's fine for a mei tai or ergo or a regular front carry. CuddlyWrap's website has lots of info for that particular style. I'm totally planning to master babywearing AND nursing so I'm not trapped to a chair all day, but I have no idea how to go about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thansk, Annemarie! I tried out the kangaroo-style with Benjamin, and it seems to be great. I should have gone onto Cuddly Wrap's website sooner! Oh well. It's not like we've been hurting these three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I'm jumping in - I have an Infantino carrier, and I like it, but I think I might buy the Cuddlywrap because it sounds like baby's weight would be more evenly distributed and perhaps more comfortable for moving around and stuff. Tell me how you like it, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Criston - I really love the cuddly wrap. Thanks to the awesomeness of Annemarie, I've been able to try the wrap, a ring sling, and an Ergo. Someone also gave us a Jolly Jumper carrier that was absolutely horrible. I prefer the cuddly wrap - at least for the first six months. I used mine today to walk to camp and it was super comfortable, but just a bit too warm. I think any carrier would be warm on a summer day, though.

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)