My Plan vs. God's Plan

Monday, March 19, 2007

I am very, very tired today because this past weekend was the most physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually stretching time I've experienced since working at camp. The Bagot Youth group and the EMC youth group came together to embark on a mission trip experience in Regina, SK. I went on the same trip last year, but this year's trip shattered all of my expectations. Here's just a breakdown of the first day's events, which seemed to set the tone for the whole trip.

Thursday, March 15th:
  • 8:00 AM - Wake up to blizzard conditions. Fear trip will be cancelled.
  • 9:30 AM - Drive nervously to Brandon and back for braces appointment.
  • 11:00 AM - Sun dries off highways, trip plans still in motion.
  • 5:30 PM - Scheduled departure time.
  • 6:00 PM - Behind schedule, but no harm done.
  • 6:30 PM - Depart, but knowingly leave without Pedro, the no-show. 1 hour behind.
  • 8:00 PM - Emily becomes very ill. Stop #1 at Virden gas station.
  • 8:10 PM - Continue on trip.
  • 8:25 PM - Emily can't go on. Our car turns back to Virden, the rest continue.
  • 8:40 PM - Stop #2 at Virden gas station.
  • 8:45 PM - Virden hospital. Emily is sick.
  • 9:05 PM - Stop #3 at Virden gas station.
  • 9:10 PM - Heading back to Brandon to drop off Emily with her parents.
  • 9:40 PM - Emily is safe with her parents, and we resume our trip.
  • 10:10 PM - Stop #4 at Virden gas station.
  • 10:15 PM - On the road again.
  • 2:00 AM - Roll into Regina. Forced to find a hotel.
  • 2:30 AM - Sleep.
As you can tell, things didn't necessarily go as planned on the first day. And it did not stop there. Numerous other people became sick, which slowed everyone down a little. And then, well, the boys acted like boys and some other "fun" little detours came about.

I could say that besides all of that, I was really impacted by the trip, but that would not be right. I was really impacted by the trip because it didn't go as planned. There is a saying that if you want to make God laugh, have a plan. Well, I had my plan, but God had His. He wanted to teach me! I learned that I should not be so rigid in what I do. I learned that Christians should hold everything in common. I learned that there is nothing praisworthy in me. I learned that I struggle with sin just as much as the people the Mission takes into the recovery program struggle with sin. I learned that God will provide for you in whatever task he calls you to, even if you feel completely inadequate. In fact, it's better that you are inadequate! The smartest person is the person that knows they are not smart. I am so thankful to God for His blessings, for speaking in such personal ways. I love Jesus!

Oh, and we just had to visit Virden for gas station stop #5 on the way back.

2 comments:

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)