Of television, snow drifts, and lazy days

Saturday, March 03, 2007

School was cancelled Thursday and Friday due to a large amount of snowfall (and additional snowfall warnings) and black ice on the highways. I did not complain in the least about this extended weekend, although it meant that I was home-bound for two days with nothing really to do. I had no homework to work on and youth was cancelled.

I watched TV. I watched more TV than I have in a long time. What I saw was shocking! Television has become so extremely sex saturated! Almost every commercial has some male/female relation inuendo, and you can hardly make it through one show without a very intense kiss scene.

Now, I'm not a prude, but there is just some stuff that should be left unspoken, unseen. I'm worried about the younger audiences that are watching! They idolize everything they see on TV, and now they are idolizing sex. It's really sad. I think that I am going to very VERY carefully assess the shows I watch on the tube, because, whether I think it or not, it will start to affect my walk with God.

Television might seem harmless to you, but I believe it is a gateway for the devil to enter Christians' lives. You find yourself being carried away in fantastical storylines, your emotions get entangled in unrealistic romances, and you begin to compare your life to the lives of the people on TV. The most dangerous thing about it is that when you watch TV, you shut off your mind. We are supposed to keep every thought captive for Christ, but how can that be done if we are not the ones controlling our minds?

1 comment:

  1. [QUOTE]They idolize everything they see on TV[/QUOTE]

    Case in point, someone I know who watches "The OC" and was raised in a christian home but does not believe in sexual purity. You can ask me who it is in person.

    P.S. It wasn't all black ice, most spots it looked like an ice rink.

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)