of weeds

Friday, July 23, 2010

God is working here and now, and I haven't even posted about it!  Shame on me.

Three (and a half) weeks of camp have already flown by.  All I can say is that God has blessed us with amazing staff--young men and women that are seeking Him*.
Our program directors have been blessing the campers constantly with their enthusiasm and attention to detail.  I don't think there has been a camper that has gone home feeling unloved.   When you think of it, being hyped up about playing a wide-game may not necessarily be "the thing" that brings children to Jesus, but I know that we can bring glory to God by doing our very best in absolutely everything--especially the areas we are gifted in.  Our program directors have been using all they have for God's glory.  Thank you, Jesus!  

*Example:  last night's riveting conversation was about Calvinism vs. Arminianism.  I heart these people. :)

Every week at camp has it's own highlights, but I have to say that this last week has been the most memorable to me--probably because all of our staff were brought really low, and thus God's glory shone all the brighter.  This week was sponsored entirely by Union Gospel Mission, who "bought" out an entire week of camp and sent two bus loads of kids from inner-city Winnipeg our way.  What a good reminder this was to everyone (well, I guess I can only speak for myself) that salvation does not come by Christians forcing unbelievers to follow their schedules, standards, and way of life.   Many of these kids were not used to: being kept to a schedule, sitting for one (let alone two) "church" sessions a day, reading a Bible, not swearing, living peaceably with others, etc.  It was a week of grace in so many ways.  Coming down on kids for behaving exactly as they have been taught to behave was not what was going to win them to Christ.  Our staff had to come alongside them and be friends, mentors, and even tutors at times.  We had to not only teach Christ; we had to be Christ.  

Maybe that explains why this week was full of so much spiritual tension.  Discouragement was a common theme amongst the staff.  The enemy was hard at work!  In so many of ways we did not uphold the name of the Lord this week.  It could have ended completely horrible for the campers.  Only God could take something so distorted--something as good as dead--and breathe life into it.  

At least that was my prayer last night.  I was burdened for the name of Jesus.  The valley stretched out before me, and I cried out to my God.  I asked him to bring this camp from darkness to light.  I asked Him to forgive me for my apathy and my lack of love.  I pleaded with Him to redeem us for the sake of His name.  

A surprising spirit of calm came over me, and I wandered on, looking at the colourful "flowers" springing up from the edge of a clump of trees.  I've always loved wild flowers, weeds though they may be.  Picking bright purples and yellows, brilliant whites, and leafy greens, I made for myself a pretty little bouquet that reminded me of God's love for me.  

All of a sudden, I realised what I was holding in my hands: weeds.  Nothing but weeds.  Things that we uproot and throw into the fire.  Things we don't give a second thought about casting aside.  And I was, delighting in their coloured blossoms, and, ultimately, finding joy in them.  I began to cry.

I have been frustrated with staff who seem to have lost their sense of purpose this summer.  I have been hard-fisted and judgmental.  Yes, I have nearly been at the point where I thought it would be better to "cast them aside" then deal with all the frustrations.  Yet God sees these people, and He loves them.  He sees beauty.  He does not cast them aside.  He alone will make beauty out of this summer, and not us.

I am so thankful for this lesson.   I am humbled that God would teach me in this way.   I am excited to see what God will do.

The campers left today, and we're going to miss them so much.  Battles were fought and won this week, all to the praise of God.  His name is now known by this tiny little flock of city kids.   Please pray for them!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)