Biblical motherhood

Thursday, September 22, 2011


I’ve been struggling to keep a clear perspective on what exactly my role is as a mother and a Christian. Some days it feels like I just “get” how this is all supposed to work. I feel like I am thriving in the role God has placed me in. Other days… well, let’s just say it’s more of a struggle. I don’t know how I’m supposed to keep up on the daily grunge (yes, grunge. Diapers, dishes, and laundry are most definitely grunge) of life and still be serving God’s purpose.

I was given a book quite a while ago entitled “Passionate Housewives Desperate for God”. I even mentioned it here once. I started reading it back then, but kind of forgot about it. Maybe I just wasn’t ready to read it at the time. Whatever the case, it sat on my shelf undisturbed for many, many months. Tonight that changed. I’m only a couple chapters in, but the following paragraph kind of hit me between the eyes.

“Biblical motherhood means sacrifice, selfless love, and faithful dedication. It means we’re there with our families – body, mind, and spirit. To recognize our purpose in motherhood ,we must see the godly generations beyond our own children (Genesis 24:60, Deuteronomy 4:9, 7:9). This means denying ourselves (Matthew 16:25) and being consumed with God and His love for us. It means starting each morning on our face in repentance and thanksgiving, pleading for His grace and for the strength to glorify Him in our daily endeavors. It means loving God more than we love our children – and consequently, He will equip us to truly love them and prepare us to serve them through Christ our Lord. It means impacting future generations by our faithfulness now.”

This is what I needed to hear (or read, in this case). It’s a tall order, to be sure, but in light of what Christ has done for me, I should delight to complete it. This thing? This thing we call MOTHERHOOD and being a SAHM? It is BIG, and it will impact not only our own children, but the generations to come. Of course it’s going to be hard. But, in the midst of it all, those who call on the name of the Lord can rest assured that He will supply all of their needs – He has already supplied them. We need to put our confidence in Him.

1 comment:

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)