snapshots of toddlerhood

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Judah runs up to me with dirt on his finger. He's scooped it out of the open window sill. I don't know why he has this fascination with dirt, except that he's a little boy. Don't all little boys love dirt? Before I can stop it, the finger is sucked clean of it's coating. "We don't eat dirt, Judah. Dirt is yucky." Somehow, I don't think he's convinced. I am grateful it was just dirt collected from our over-zealous wind and not raw chicken... or whatever. Not that he's ever eaten raw chicken.... Ahem.

***

We're at the zoo. The big little has done well with being confined to a stroller most of the afternoon, but now he wants OUT. We let him loose and he stomps around on the pavement in glee. Daddy tries to grab his hand to guide the little rampager, but he will have none of it. Yanking his hand from bondage, he propels himself to freedom... and a face-plant. A bloody lip, lots of tears, and many tender words later, he's back in his stroller, content to be pushed around once again.

***

Two suitcases sit in the middle of the living room, half-packed for our Autumn holidays. Judah thinks they are there solely for his amusement. He pushes them over, climbs them, and then gets in a huff because they are too heavy to set upright again. I give him that look that says "you brought this on yourself", and the whining stops. With a mighty effort, he lifts them up again. Then he chants at them in victory.

***

I'm nursing Benjamin on the far end of the couch. Judah is playing at the other end. He really struggles with the concept of "couches are for sitting on". This is made apparent when he stands up on the arm rest and belly flops onto the cushions. It's all fun and games... except that he happened to head-butt Benjamin in the process. Baby is screaming. Judah doesn't understand what just happened. I think pain is a completely foreign concept to him. I ask him to say "sorry". He smiles, pats his chest "please!" and says "Orry." Sorry might also be a foreign concept.

***

Benjamin is laying contentedly on his play mat, staring at the strange smiling star that plays music above him. I'm grabbing a moment to myself and perusing the internets mindlessly. When I look up, I see Judah laying beside his brother, looking up at the same star, and holding his hand gently. My heart, once again, fills to overflowing.




1 comment:

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)