36 weeks

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Only a month or so stand between my baby and my arms.  That’s so hard to believe!  When we fist found out we were pregnant, it felt like nine months would be an unbearably long time to wait for our baby.  First of all, it hasn’t been unbearable—on the contrary, it’s been rather necessary.  My swelling abdomen and growing discomfort are very sober reminders of the quite serious task Joey and I will soon be taking on.  I’m glad for the time to think, read, pray, and make general preparations for the new little family member.  I’m pretty sure many couples would throw in the towel if it was more like BAM! there’s a baby!  Nine months is God’s gift to expectant mothers and fathers. 

So what makes week 36 different from other weeks?  Well, for starters, my baby, if it would be born today (shudder!) would no longer be considered premature.  That is amazingly comforting to know.  God is faithful.  As opposed to previous weeks, this week is starting to bring a lot more “gulp!” moments and day-dreaming.  I find myself seeing a baby that isn’t there so often that I’m slightly worried about my mental health.  Not only is it kind of fun to envision my baby, but it also gives me the opportunity to get into the mindset of mothering before the actual event.  It’s neat how God prepares a mother’s heart.

Today, however, I’m slightly frustrated (only slightly) with miscommunication.  Joey and I have not been looking for any prenatal classes to join because we were assured that one would be starting up in January right in MacGregor.  Well, January is almost over, and we had no news of any such classes taking place.  After a little investigation, I found out that there aren’t enough pregnant couples to warrant a class, so no steps have been taken to plan one.  Our public health nurse (we’ll call her PHN) phoned to see if I could get in on some classes in Portage, but, alas, there are none taking place until March/April.  That might be a little late… :)  I know that prenatal classes are not the only way a person can get educated about the new life being thrust at her, but they are highly recommended.  Thankfully, our PHN is kind enough to offer classes to Joey and I.  I feel a little bad for making her give up some of her evenings… but she HAD assured me previously that classes would start in January, so I guess she kind of owes it to us. 

Any more “news” I could share becomes fairly trivial and uninteresting now.  I’m determined to take these last 4 + weeks easy.  Rest is important to a pregnant lady, you see.  I have no other plans today other than to wash the last few baby items, drink tea, and finish reading a book—and start another.  At least I now have a cat AND a baby to keep me company. 

1 comment:

  1. You and Joey will really appreciate the "smallness" of your class-so much easier to ask questions. And it is really good to have that connection with the public health nurse in the town closest to you. I asked a zillion questions those first years, and I still consider her a good friend. Charlene

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)