because Christ has paid it all

Friday, March 04, 2011

I'm guilty of becoming "comfortable" in my walk with Christ - Him who had no place to lay his head (Mt 8:20), who was led like a lamb to the slaughter (Is 53:7), who challenged his followers to let nothing hinder them from following him (Mt 16:24).  This case of stagnancy in my life is not compatible with the life Jesus led.  As much as I may think that "it's all good" between God and I, it most likely is not.

There's this little thing called my sin nature that comes hand in hand with this whole "humanity" thing.  It likes to slowly exchange the grace of God for an attitude of works-based salvation - so slow does this change take place that, without constant study of the word of God, it is nigh indiscernible. One moment I'm rejoicing in the knowledge that Christ's merit has been imputed to my account, and the next I'm enslaved to an attitude of performance = acceptance.  This sin nature also likes to take the moments when the Spirit of God has brought me low (aka humbling me) and make me so preoccupied with my humility that I become proud of it.  How can one be proud of being humble? Sorry to say, but the former negates the latter - always.  The worst thing about my sin nature is that it abhors God.  Yes, it's true: I am prone to do whatever I can to keep myself at an arm's length from God.

All of this is to say that I am in constant need of revival - that Christians everywhere are in constant need of revival.  We need to have our eyes opened to the patterns of sin in our lives.  Thankfully, the Holy Spirit is at work in us, opening up the Word of God to us to convict us.

I recently read an article that Nancy Leigh Demoss posted on the True Woman blog.  The title kept me at bay for a couple of days: "Ten Indications That We Need Revival".  I've seen lists like this before.  I've been convicted by lists like this before.  And, at that moment in time, I refused to click that link (re: my sin nature opposes God).

But, today the Holy Spirit led me to that site, once again.  Instead of leaving you with that choice of whether or not to click that link, I'm just going to post the steps down below.

Here's what Nancy said about it:

As you read through this list, do you see any indications of a need for revival in your own life (as I did)? If so, agree with God about whatever He has revealed to you. Humble yourself by confessing your sin, crying out to Him for mercy, and receiving His forgiveness and grace.
As you do, you can be assured that He will fulfill His promise: “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. . . . . Humble [yourself] before the Lord, and he will exalt you” (James 4:8, 10). 
I echo that.  Take a moment to read the list and actually let the words sink in.  Humbly lay your life before the feet of Christ.

1) When sin is the pattern of our lives 
2) When we accommodate broken relationships
3) When we no longer receive the Word of God with joy and expectancy 
4) When prayer and worship become rituals and chores
5) When we don’t grieve over those who don’t know Christ
6) When we love the world more than we love Jesus
7) When we no longer fear God
8) When we no longer view God as our only hope
9) When we have to be “sold” or entertained for worship to be meaningful
10) When “professionalism” has replaced reliance on the Holy Spirit . . .
The loosening of sin's hold in our live's is never without pain or discomfort.  And, yet, because Jesus Christ has paid sin's penalty on the cross, we can be assured that this loosening of what hinders is exactly what God requires of those who've been saved by grace.  It's not "do this so that you can be saved", but rather "because you have been saved, do this!"

I hope God uses this simple, soul-searching list in your life today.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post - I needed it. Like you, the title of that True Woman blog would have made me pause and decide to click that link later, but I am glad you posted the list here so I didn't have that choice because I may never have read the list. And I can relate to some of the items on the list so my prayer is now for change in my own life because I have indeed become too "comfortable". Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)