shelter from the storm

Thursday, March 31, 2011


Is anyone else a little bit troubled about all of the things happening in the world right now? Major earthquakes, nuclear meltdowns, governments being overthrown, political unrest, changing culture, growing church factions, etc. are all plaguing our planet, and it's a fearful thing to behold. I can't even pretend to be totally informed on any of these matters, but I can tell you that watching and waiting by the sidelines is scary enough. I constantly have to remind myself that none of these things is a surprise to God. I also say to myself, "There's nothing new under the sun!" knowing that all of these things have dotted history time and time again. 

As a Christian who's mostly consumed with the daily grind of motherhood, it's difficult to feel the full effects of our groaning planet. I might not understand just how horrible radiation poisoning is, or what the phrase "being found in contempt of court" really means, but I have felt the shockwave on a different level. 

I feel an attack, a growing oppression, on my identity as a child of God. Everywhere I turn, I'm having to make decisions based upon what the Bible says, what I choose to believe, and what I want to be identified with. I'm feeling it in my own walk with Christ when I must choose to lay aside my comforts and seek Him wholeheartedly. It's hard to do - harder than I ever remember it being. I am loathe to admit it, but I fear man and condemnation from those closest to me. I have to force myself to consider God first and foremost, which is not in my nature to do. I feel like I'm straddling a fence and a storm is coming. I must choose to hide myself in the cleft of the Rock - under God's very mercies - or else be swept away.

I occasionally post lyrics to songs on this blog. Most of them are from Sovereign Grace Music. You should check it out. This group of Christians functions to provide songs packed full with theology to Christians everywhere. You can download all of their songs' guitar chords, lead sheets, and lyrics for free, and pay a mere $6 to get a full set of sheet music per album. I greatly respect what they're doing. 

This song, in particular, has blessed me this morning. I looked up the lyrics and was completely astounded by the peace it spoke to my troubled soul. Here's a disclaimer, though: always go to the word of God and to prayer for truth, for peace, for security. If this song touches you, then respond by seeking God in obedience.

I Have a Shelter
By Steve & Vikki Cook and Bob Kauflin


I have a shelter in the storm
When troubles pour upon me
Though fears are rising like a flood
My soul can rest securely
O Jesus, I will hide in You
My place of peace and solace
No trial is deeper than Your love
That comforts all my sorrows

I have a shelter in the storm
When all my sins accuse me
Though justice charges me with guilt
Your grace will not refuse me
O Jesus, I will hide in You
Who bore my condemnation
I find my refuge in Your wounds
For there I find salvation

I have a shelter in the storm
When constant winds would break me
For in my weakness, I have learned
Your strength will not forsake me
O Jesus, I will hide in You
The One who bears my burdens
With faithful hands that cannot fail
You'll bring me home to heaven

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)