what the experts say

Tuesday, March 29, 2011


The difference between the weeks completed and weeks to go in this pregnancy is pleasing - and scary! - to me. I am rejoicing that I'm almost to the point when baby can survive outside of the womb!


I know a couple who, pregnant with their first born, found themselves in a position that many pregnant women dread - going into early labour. This wasn't a "Surprise! four weeks early!" thing.  Baby Jacob was born at 26 weeks gestation, weighing only 2 lbs. From what I understand, the doctors were concerned about the possibility of his lungs being under-developed. This couple's church family petitioned the Lord for the sake of baby Jacob, and when he was born (thanks be to God), his lungs were fine!

I can't even imagine how hard the next months were for this family. They live in a small city with limited medical capabilities, so Jacob was kept the closest major city hospital - over an hour away. Life went on for the parents, which meant daily trips to the hospital and the inability to hold their sweet little boy like all new parents desire to do. They were, quite literally, living on the Lord's provision. 

I had the privilege of seeing Jacob when he had just reached 8 lbs - when he would have been full-term (~3 months old). His mother glowed more than any other new mother I have ever seen. When people tear up looking at the little miracle in her arms, she would resolutely reply, "No! Jacob is not supposed to make you cry. He is a miracle! Look how happy he is! Look how healthy he is! He's our miracle baby." She's right, he does bring joy - although such intense joy often manifests itself with big, hot tears. 


This family is not out of the woods yet. Last I heard, they were waiting on the decision whether or not Jacob's head would undergo intense re-shaping. Babies that little have very soft bones, which leads to misshapen heads because of the amount of time they are laying on flat, firm surfaces. A surgery like that is no small thing. What I love, though, is the joy that baby Jacob's parents have maintained throughout this whole process. I'm sure they've had incredibly dark moments/days/weeks, but they have relied on God's grace to get them through, and the knowledge that God knows best.  

No, I can't imagine going into such an early labour. I can't imagine the trials down the road should such a thing happen. But the truth is that God DOES know, He does provide, and He will not crush those who hope in Him. While I may rejoice because some medical professionals say "your baby can survive at such and such number of weeks", it is far better to put my trust in the Author of Life. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)