counting my blessings

Friday, March 11, 2011

I have many things to be grateful for today.

I had a midwife appointment yesterday, which was disappointingly short.  It being short is actually a really good thing - it means that there are no concerns with baby and everything's going as it should be.  We heard the heartbeat (which kept swimming away from that nosey Doppler) steady at 150 bpm.  Everything is measuring up, and all of my tests are coming back without a worry.  That is so much to praise God for!  Pregnancy is really a time that should be characterized by faith, otherwise the unknown and the doubt that accompanies it can overtake the mind.  Even if things aren't going well, God is still good and STILL in control.

Another reason for my rejoicing is that I have an ultrasound appointment today.  We get to see our squirmy little baby as close to face to face as we can get!  My ultrasound with Judah was a little disappointing.  I had accidentally drank double the amount of water (that's right, I drank TWO litres) over an hour before, and I almost died in the waiting room.  Seriously, I'm not joking.  If you can die from an exploding bladder, then I'm pretty sure I was on death's doorstep.  The obstetrician hardly even let us see the baby and kept the monitor turned away from me the entire time she was doing measurements.  Joey couldn't even be in for that part.  She called him in after and gave us about 5 minutes to look at our bebe.  We were still grateful that we had the chance to see him, though.  This time we will be going to a different hospital, so I'm hoping for a different - if not better - experience.  It's already better - I'm supposed to drink a mere two glasses of water one hour before.  That's well within my bladder's limitations.  We're also hoping to find out the sex, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this particular hospital also won't disclose that information just like the other one we went to.  I've looked at both girl and boy ultrasound pics online, but there's no telling exactly what kind of images we'll get today, or if the baby will cooperate.  Again, we're hoping for the best, but the mere sight of our baby will be a blessing in itself.

I'll post pictures as soon as we get home, if we get home.  There are many many blizzard and freezing rain warnings around these parts today.  Either the storm will miss us, or it will hit with full fury and Joey and I will be taking it very easy out there on the roads.  But, yes, you have blurry black and white "can you kind of tell that that's a foot?" pictures to look forward to later today. 

3 comments:

  1. Safe driving and hooray for seeing the little squirmy worm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for your ultrasound! I'm looking forward to those pictures!
    I too was exploding with one ultrasound (just a pelvic - not an obstetrical U/S). They couldn't see ANYTHING because I overfilled my bladder. But when they said to fill my bladder, they didn't tell me how much would fill it...Thankfully the normal u/s office I go in to prefers an EMPTY bladder for all pregnancy ultrasounds. And thankfully you don't have to drink as much this time with yours either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed their instructions and STILL almost died. Again I was made to go empty it halfway through (much to my relief). The only complaint I have about this time around is that we had to pay $10 to get one little picture. It's hardly the time or place to complain of highway robbery, though. We got so much time with baby that it definitely made up for the lack of pictures - and, really, the scan was free for us Canadians. $10 is a steal, i suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)