a look at social media

Monday, March 14, 2011

After a long day of housekeeping and taking care of my little man, I sat down on the couch for a much needed breather.  Even though I should have felt accomplished by the sheer productivity of the day, I felt like something was missing.  Realizing that I had not set apart a time to meet my Lord in prayer and study of His word, I quickly grabbed a Bible (more specifically a Bible app on my iPod) and opened up to where I had last read - 2 Timothy 2. 

These words hit me between the eyes:

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.  But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness... ...Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.  And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness.  God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth..." vv. 15-16, 23-25.  Please refer to your own Bible to read the chapter in it's fullness and get a grasp of its context. 

I am guilty of being defensive about my words and seeing that they stand - especially via social media.  Really, it's far too easy to post a short rebuttal to whatever doesn't quite sit right.  I may have significant reason for doing so, and I may even have scripture and conviction to back it up, but Facebook and Twitter are not the places to do that.  Any one sentence can be ascribed different meanings based upon what attitude the reader considers it in.  Am I being sarcastic?  Is it a joke?  Am I angry?  Am I agreeing but simply adding a further aspect to above statement?  There is very little we can do to ensure that our words are not misinterpreted when all you see is 140 characters and a hashtag.  

As Christians, we are supposed to be monitoring everything we say with extreme attention to detail.  Were we not urged to take every thought captive for Christ (2 Cor 10:5)?  Thoughts come and go before we know we've even thought them - issuing straight from our heart and revealing our values, strongholds, strengths, and weaknesses.  If even those thoughts are subject to the judgement of God, how much more will our hasty words be judged?

The passage I posted above speaks of watching how we as Christians handle controversies and arguments within those who claim salvation through Christ.  Our words and the attitude with which we speak them - even if we are attempting to argue for Truth's sake - have the ability to lead people into ungodliness.  The biggest proof of hypocrisy to the unbelieving lies in the words Christians say - how they're interpreted, whether or not they prove to be true.  It is vitally important to guard what we say and submit all of the things we want to say to Christ, lest we cheapen the grace of God.  

Much of these thoughts of mine began when Rob Bell released his video advertisement for his newest book, Love Wins.  I am not going to get into what I think about all of that because, as of now, my opinions are unfounded, uneducated, and motivated by a back-arching attitude of defensiveness.  What I will tell you is that I, like many others who follow key Christian spokespeople via Twitter, was taken in by the whole unfolding drama that followed.  Some took stands, some approved those stands, some lost respect for Rob Bell, some lost respect for those who took the initial stands.  Some of the stands were seasoned with grace, others prompted by selfish ambition.  The same can be said for the responses.  I know that God uses men as spokespeople for His Truth, but I also know that Christians can very easily become noisy gongs when they do not speak out of love (1 Cor 13:1).  I am convinced that carless words do nothing but convince unbelievers against the "above reproach" life Christians are said to be living.  Social media is the worst place and easiest tool for spurring on these quick, no-commitment statements that come from gut reaction rather than hours before the Throne of Grace on one's knees.  

I am rethinking how I use Facebook, Twitter, and even my blog.  I believe there is a need for Truth to be spoken boldly, but I also believe there is a greater need for warriors who are committed to battle it out on their knees hours, days, and even months before clicking tweet, post, or publish.  If what we say has been bathed in prayer and is approved by God, then whether or not people agree, it can find no fault in the sinful motives of the flesh.

1 comment:

  1. What a very well written post! I've found myself walking away from the computer when I feel like rushing to comment on things that will upset me and make me say things I shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)