stuck in a moment

Sunday, March 20, 2011

This week has felt really long.  It feels like I haven't been to church in a month.  While in the midst of it, I felt like I was having a really good week.  I was following my new weekly schedule and enjoying myself tremendously.  I was being the wife and mother I had always wanted to be.  And yet, at the end of the day, I would realize that I had not set apart any time of the day to spend with my Lord.  Here I was so successful in all that I put my hands to, but it was all dedicated to me.  The first fruits were greedily consumed.

How often do we, as Christians, fall into this pattern of selfishness?  We are human.  We enjoy when things go our way.  It gives a sense of victory and accomplishment.  It's intoxicating.  We live in the moment, for the moment, and seem to forget that God calls us to pay attention to what goes far beyond the moment.  He calls us to worship Him for His eternal existence, to live for Him because of the atonement on the cross 2000 years ago, and to be ever-anticipating the eternal heaven where we will worship His glory for ever and ever.

That's why I need to be with believers this morning.  That's why I need to be convicted of my sins.  That's why I need to hear, yet again, of my sinfulness and Christ's sinlessness.  I never want to become trapped in the mundane of the moment.  I want to live as if not of this world.

And I can't do it on my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)