entering into a course of serious distraction

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Every Wednesday I open my email inbox to find the words "You're XX weeks pregnant!" staring at me. It almost always takes me by surprise EVEN THOUGH I count down the days (and if I could, hours) compulsively.

Today was no exception. 38 weeks of carrying this little bundle around have come and gone. I blogged on this day last pregnancy  about how it felt like the baby could come any day. Well, that's just as true this time. I also carry around this silly hope that because my mom gave birth to me two weeks early (and I was her only child), I will recreate this circumstance sometime in my life. If that's the case for this baby, then my body has a lot of work to do today. I am doubtful.

My fabulous doula reminded me that the biggest enemy to labour is over-thinking it. Don't underestimate the powers of your mind. I'm not saying that to sound all guru-ish. There are many recorded cases in history where a woman in active labour completely closed up because the wrong person (usually a man) burst into the room, startling the woman and completely putting her out of her comfort zone - hence my decision to go with a midwife. If you worry constantly about labour, your body is far less likely to produce the oxytocin needed to jumpstart the whole process - and keep it going.

I say all of this to give some background to my next statement: I am determined to enter into a course of serious distraction. That means knitting, crocheting, movie-watching, napping, bath-taking, and a wee bit of house-cleaning... really ANYTHING to take my (admittedly overactive) mind off of what my body needs to do to prepare for labour and delivery. I am hoping for success, although I've never had much in silencing my brain before. The last thing I want is to prolong this pregnancy with unnecessary anxiety!

I'm holding on to Philippians 4:13 - "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (ESV). It is such a wonderful promise from God!

1 comment:

  1. I read this entire post while Lucy chanted "sheep? sheep? sheep? sheep?" I think she means you should watch Shaun the Sheep. (You don't have to follow her advice.)

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)