I prefer to think of it as "held up"

Saturday, July 23, 2011

I had a midwife appointment yesterday with one of my most favourite midwives. As soon as I walked into her office, she informed me that my name has been said quite frequently around there lately. Apparently Nutmeg is the last July baby they are waiting for. If I recall correctly, Judah was the baby of his month, too. The anticipation is pretty high!

Because I am now officially overdue, we had to have a conversation that I particularly dread: that about induction. The hospital I will *hopefully* be birthing at has a strict policy that women can go no longer than 14 days overdue. I know some doctors will let a woman go as long as she will, but there are studies that suggest that the risk factors to baby after the 41 and 3 mark increase as the (sorry, male readers) placenta ages and starts to perform it's (incredibly amazing! super-human organ of awesomeness!) duties. At 42 weeks, that risk factor increases very noticeably. So, yes. I have to start considering my options if, in fact, I reach that 41 and 3 mark. Blech. I hate the thought of induction.

And how is Nutmeg doing in all of this overdue nonsense? Just fine, I should say! I'm measuring 40 weeks (textbook!) and s/he's moving like crazy. The heartbeat was lower than we've ever heard it before (boy?). My midwife said it doesn't feel like a big baby, but just right for me. Aaaaawwe. She also mentioned that there's room for a whole other baby in there... so this one must be smaller than Judah was (8 pounds 12 ounces). At any rate, things are going just swimmingly, and I am content to wait. This baby still has a 10 day window before the dreaded "i" word!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)